One of the first questions asked when considering acupuncture as a treatment option is ‘how many acupuncture treatments are needed for insomnia/sciatica/anxiety/etc.’
It is difficult to answer exactly how many acupuncture sessions are needed as it differs on a case by case basis. The full picture of one’s health and the nature of the issue must be taken in context to provide a personal treatment timeframe.
There are general guidelines for the number of acupuncture sessions needed, based on the experience of acupuncturists:
- Acute cases: 3-6 treatments for a lasting resolution
- Chronic cases: 6-10 treatments for positive changes, 10-20 sessions for consolidation of changes and more lasting changes
These estimates do reflect what I often observe in my Melbourne acupuncture clinic.
These infographics help to get an idea of the experience of acupuncturists in treating certain conditions
In a 2018 survey of over 180 acupuncturists, Katie Altneu asked how many treatments they found on average produces significant changes for their clients for a range of conditions. Her findings help to gain a loose expectation of average treatment timeframes.
- Acute back pain: 3-4 treatments
- Acute injuries or pain: 3-4 treatments
- Chronic back pain: 6-8 treatments
- Chronic injuries or pain: 10-12 treatments
- Headaches: 4-6 treatments
- Migraines: 8-10 treatments
Internal Health Conditions
- Insomnia: 8-10 treatments
- Fatigue: 8-10 treatments
- Digestive/Bloating/IBS Symptoms: 6-8 treatments
- Allergies: 6-8 treatments
- Anxiety/Depression: 8-10 treatments
- Menstrual Symptoms: 8-10 treatments
- Menopausal Symptoms: 8-10 treatments
- Subfertility: 4-5 months
These are loose guidelines. The data from this survey was informally gathered, but by no means is meant to be prescriptive.
How many acupuncture treatments you need is dependent on factors such as the length of time and severity of your health issues.
Also, the ability/willingness to make changes around aggravating factors play a part in this.
When considering the affordability of acupuncture, the cost must also be taken into consideration. This does not reflect the value, but your ability to find the best treatment option for you. This article discusses some of the factors and median costs regarding acupuncturists fees.
For more insight into your specific health issues and expectations for treatment timeframes, it is advisable to talk to a professional health practitioner.
I invite you to book a time to find out more about how Chinese Herbal Medicine and Acupuncture may be helpful for your health.
Obligation free, complimentary 15-min health evaluation
What else would you like to know?
Thanks for reading this far. Have I missed your question? Was something unclear? Let me know in the comments below, I read and respond to every one!